PTE for Australian PR – What PTE Score is Required for Australian Permanent Residency?

One of the most significant and challenging requirements of the Australian Department of Home Affairs is a proof of English language ability. The Department recognizes Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic as an accepted English language test for Australian permanent residency. It is growing in popularity among applicants.

Permanent residence visas requiring Competent English as a minimum are:

VISA TypeSubclass
General Skilled MigrationSkilled Independent (189)

Skilled Nominated (190)

Permanent Employer SponsoredRegional Sponsored Migration Scheme (187)

Employer Nomination Scheme (186)

Secondary applicants (spouses, partners, or any family members 18 years old or older) may take PTE Academic instead of paying the English Language Charge. They must provide proof of at least Functional English.

Minimum Score

The PTE Academic minimum score that must be earned for each English level are outlined as follows:

Test componentFunctionalVocationalCompetentProficient Superior
Average/total/overall across test components only30

Equivalent Points

Candidates applying for General Skilled Migration may claim points for the following English levels:

English LevelNumber of Points

Competent English is equivalent to zero points in the points-test system of GSM.


The PTE Academic test results are valid for a certain period only. See below table for a summary:

General Skilled MigrationNot more than 36 months before receipt of an invitation to apply for the visa
Permanent Employer SponsoredWithin 36 months immediately prior to the date of application lodgment
If an additional family member 18 years old or older is applying for the visa with youNot more than 12 months before the visa application or completed while the application is processed.


Applicants can show they possess Competent English without taking any English Proficiency test if they can provide proof of these qualifications:

VISA TypeQualification
General Skilled MigrationYou are a citizen of, and hold a valid passport from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the United States
Permanent Employer Sponsored under the Temporary Residence Transition streamYou have completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary or higher education institution where all the tuition fees were delivered in English.


Listen to this Episode of the EasyPTE Podcast:

Click ‘Play’ below to hear the episode. When you’re done, subscribe using the links to the right to get access to all our episodes! Or simply search for ‘EasyPTE’ wherever you get your podcasts.

Get the Complete eBook

Like this article? Buy our eBook to get all of the best content in one place. This is how you get better, fastest!